When my husband and I built our house almost 15 years ago now, I was so excited to have my front door painted red. Red is such a vibrant color and full of life that how could we not start off our life in our new house with such a color!
I love change, and now it is time for a new color so I thought I would do a little research and look at lots of pictures!
In the world of Feng Shui, a front door is very important in where the house gets its nourishment or energy. It should have a strong presence and be well balanced, without obstruction or clutter so that it permits the flow of energy. For example:
- North facing main doors bears the Metal Element for clarity and preciseness and colors recommended are white or gray.
- South facing front doors are dominate in the Fire Element where colors like red, orange and purple help benefit its energy (it looks like I chose correctly!).
More door colors and the meanings behind them
- Blue – Just what you might think – calming waters and serenity. Often found to be a place of refuge, people flock to you with your easygoing personality.
- Yellow – Wow! There is a lot of meaning going on with this color door! You obviously have a sunny disposition and are most likely the leader of the pack. Yellow evokes mental clarity, confidence and optimism with curiosity, humor and merriment. You are also very social and the perfect host.
- Green – Green is much like blue as they are both colors of nature. It brings peace and harmony along with growth and renewal. You hold traditional values and care about your home and community.
- Purple or Pink (or the Pantone Color of the Year – Radiant orchid) – Both colors invoke energy and that you are very sociable and have a lot of friends. Although, those with purple doors invite opportunity, and the person behind the pink door are full of mischief (and therefore have more fun!).
- White or Black – Classic and timeless like on the traditional cottage style home. White represents purity and virtue, while black shows strength, consistency and somewhat conservative.
- Red, still my favorite – You are passionate and full of energy. Your house is a vibrant place and you enjoy life to the fullest. To our early American travelers, red meant that yours is a welcome place to stop and rest. In Scotland, it signifies that your mortgage is paid.
Cheryl Rutten is a Gallery Consultant at Aero Drapery & Blind in Burnsville, MN that specializes in blinds, shades, sheers and shutters from Hunter Douglas. You will find a knowledgeable staff that can help you with color and more – including design consultation, measuring and installation. To learn more about color and window treatments, visit our website at www.aerodraperyandblind.com or stop by one of our Hunter Douglas showrooms today at 1254 County Rd 42 West, Burnsville, MN 55337 – 952-890-6393 or 75 West Viking Dr., Little Canada, MN 55117 – 651-255-0007.